Raise your glass in honor of the Beer and Cheese Fest in Madison this weekend! We thought we would take a look through our collections for images to celebrate those two things we love here in Wisconsin!


The State of Wisconsin Collection brings together, in digital form, two categories of primary and secondary materials: writings about the State of Wisconsin and unique or valuable materials that relate to its history and ongoing development. And of course features some of the best images of CHEESE AND BEER!

This a view from the steps of the Court House in the center of the square in the business section of Monroe, Wisconsin, on Saturday, September 14, 1940 - Cheese Day. This celebration was held every 5 years. The crowd has gathered to witness a Dairy Maid milking contest.


This collection also contains a great book titled Cheesemaking in Wisconsin: a short history! The book contains text and great pictures of cheese factories all around Wisconsin!


And we can't forget to mention the great breweries here in Wisconsin. In the Kenosha City directory of 1858-9, it was recorded that this brewery was located on North Water Street, on the corner of the first alley south of Lemon Street. The brewery annually converted seven to ten thousand bushels of malt into beer. Conrad Muntzenberger came to Kenosha in 1847 and operated this brewery until 1875.







1 comments

  1. Unknown // September 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

    I must to say the cheese drives me crazy, I approach every time for eat cheese and I add in my recipes all the time. I read some days ago the cheese have many properties and vitamin. The most important thing is the potassium and calcium the cheese contain. I am sure that When i buying my house through costa rica homes for sale i will prepare a dinner for all my friends and I will add many cheese. That will be wonderful.

Post a Comment